Chocolate Cherry Scones (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free)
SCONES ARE HERE!! I have been working so hard on this recipe and it’s finally ready for your enjoyment! It took me several tries to get this recipe just right, and I finally did! I love enjoying my scones with my morning coffee or on their own… and these are so good once I even ate two for lunch.
The perfect scone is crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside, and full of flavor- and these scones are just that! It’s really important to note that your butter needs to be COLD COLD COLD… like almost frozen cold. I put mine in the freezer for about 5 minutes before cutting it into the flour. If your butter gets warm the scones will turn into more of a cookie consistency. So if you want scookies… there you go.
I made my oat flour and it was BEYOND easy! Here’s how I did it- poured gluten free rolled oats (I like Bob’s Red Mill) into my Vitamix and then blended it until it was a fine flour. That’s it! So easy right? The flour got a little warm in the blender so I made sure to let it cool before working with it. I kept the leftovers in a mason jar and used them for banana pancakes, cookies, and muffins! You can also buy oat flour. I haven’t tried these with any other flours because oat flour was SO good. Y’all are going to LOVE this recipe. Don’t be intimidated by the fact that it’s scones- you can absolutely do this, I know you can, and with ease. I can’t wait to see your scones! xo
Chocolate Cherry Scones
- 2c oat flour
- 1t arrowroot powder
- 1/4c maple sugar
- 8T butter (COLD, almost frozen), cut into chunks
- 1 egg
- 1/4c oat milk (or any milk- vanilla almond milk is also good)
- 1/2t vanilla extract
- 1c chocolate chunks
- 1/2c dried cherries, chopped
How to cook Chocolate Cherry Scones
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Add oat flour, arrowroot powder, and maple sugar in one bowl and mix.
- Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender.
- In a separate bowl, add egg, milk, and vanilla and mix. Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture and stir until incorporated. Fold in chocolate and cherries.
- Place dough on a cutting board and form into a round disc about 1.5 inches thick. Cut into 8 even scones, cutting like a pizza (vertical, horizontal, and diagonal twice).
- Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before enjoying!