Christmas Potatoes (Paleo, GF, DF)
The first time I made these potatoes I said, “Hey! These taste like Christmas!” I used to hate sweet potatoes (I’d like to apologize to sweet potatoes everywhere) but I think I just hadn’t found a way to enjoy them. These potatoes are BY NO MEANS low calorie or low fat so don’t get that in your head. But you know what they are? DELICIOUS, a little bit sweet, nutty, savory, and BUTTERY. What more do you need in life?
The secret to these potatoes is the perfectly browned butter. What is browned butter? Well, friends, it’s exactly what it sounds like. It is butter that has been, buzzword alert: browned. While there’s nothing better than browned butter, there’s nothing worse than burned butter. Say that 5 times fast. To keep your butter from burning, keep a close eye on it! Keep the heat low. Be patient. Stir, or swirl, frequently. I just swirl the pan handle in a circle to stir it without a spoon. Right before it’s ready, it will turn the color above. It is this gorgeous amber color and the browning develops this incredibly nutty flavor. I love browned butter!
Bonus: these are delicious for breakfast. So friends, enjoy the miracle of the birth of Christ this Christmas season with a belly full of Christmas potatoes. What could be better?! Merry Christmas!
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks of grass fed butter
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t salt
- 2 t fresh rosemary, minced
- Peel and chop potatoes. Boil in water until fork tender (about 20 minutes).
- While potatoes boil, brown butter on low heat in a saucepan. Stirring (or swirling the pan) frequently, allow butter to reach deep golden brown but stay close so it doesn't burn.
- Drain and mash potatoes in a large bowl. Add butter, salt, garlic powder, and rosemary. Garnish with more browned butter and rosemary. Enjoy!
I use Vital Farms butter and Redmond Real Salt.