Crispy Potatoes + Air Fryer Instructions (whole30, paleo, grain free, gluten free, dairy free)
Who else did a September Whole30? My husband and I did, and we started a few days late so we’re still going strong. Two days left! I’m going to do a blog post all about Whole30, what I loved, what I missed, and what I learned. So, stay tuned for that! Ever since starting Whole30, I have been refining my potatoes. My husband said they’re the best fries he’s ever had! And yes, he calls them fries. He can call them whatever he wants! I call them crispy potatoes.
It’s potato time! Let’s talk a little bit about potatoes. For this recipe, I like to use rainbow mini potatoes. Number one reason is they’re cute. Number two is they crisp up in the oven really nicely. My favorite ones to use are sunrise medley. They are just perfect for this recipe and get perfectly crispy. You can also use new potatoes but DO NOT use russets. They contain too much starch and don’t crisp like you want. Chop your potatoes in quarters or eighths, depending on the size. The more surface area, the crispier. I like mine bite sized.
Add avocado oil. You can also use olive oil. I prefer avocado oil because it has a higher smoke point so it doesn’t make your house so smokey. Stir to coat the potatoes. Add salt, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and lemon juice and stir to coat. Make sure to use smoked paprika and not regular paprika, the flavor is EVERYTHING.
Pop your potatoes on a sheet pan. Give the pan a little shake to get them in one even layer. You won’t need to oil the pan since you put avocado oil on the potatoes first! Throw those babies in the oven! They crisp so much better on the bottom rack (closer to the heat source). Roast for 10 minutes then shake the pan to move them around. Then roast 10 minutes more. Depending on your oven, you might want to do 5 or 10 minutes more after the full 20 minutes. Cook them to your heart’s desire!
These are delicious on their own. I make them all the time as a side for dinner with fish and greens! They are also fantastic with pesto or a garlic aioli. My husband eats them with ketchup. I like to save the leftovers for a quick breakfast hash with breakfast sausage, arugula, and a fried egg. Enjoy, friends!
Guys, humans aren’t the only ones who will love these!
Crispy Oven Potatoes
- 1 lb fingerling or sunrise medley potatoes
- 1 T avocado oil
- 1/2 t Redmond Real Salt
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t onion powder
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 425F. Rinse and chop potatoes into quarters or eighths and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add avocado oil and stir to coat. Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, smoked paprika, and lemon juice, and stir to coat.
- Pour potatoes on a sheet pan and shake to distribute to an even layer.
- Roast on bottom rack for 10 minutes. Shake pan to flip. Roast another 10 minutes. May need a few extra minutes to reach desired crispiness. Enjoy!
Air Fryer Crispy Potatoes
- 1 lb sunrise medley potatoes
- 1T avocado oil
- 1/2t sea salt
- 1t garlic powder
- 1/4t onion powder
- 1/2t smoked paprika
- juice of half a lemon
How to cook Air Fryer Crispy Potatoes
- If needed, preheat air fryer to 400F. Place potatoes in an even layer in air fryer. Cook for 15 minutes. Serve immediately. They do well in the fridge and reheat them for 3 minutes on 400.