Pesto Salmon Pasta (Gluten Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free)
I kinda of forgot about pasta because, out of sight out of mind. But my sweet husband, who eats EVERYTHING I cook and even stuck by me in my vegan phase, asked about pasta the other night. I had all these ingredients on hand, and threw it together and it turned out to be AMAZING. Even my baby boy loved it, which was surprising!
Chickpea pasta is all the rage right now and for good reason! It has high protein, high fiber, and is gluten free. I would recommend this brand, Banza, if you’re wanting to jump on the chickpea pasta bandwagon. Here are some Banza stats:
25g protein vs 13g protein in regular pasta
13g fiber vs 3g fiber in regular pasta
43g net carbs vs 71g net carbs in regular pasta
It tastes exactly like regular pasta, and with high protein and fiber, you can feel good about eating it! It didn’t cause any stomach pain for me which was a major bonus!
I’ve talked about dairy free pesto before, and that’s what makes this recipe so super easy. Just toss a jar of Seggiano pesto in and you have such a delicious dairy free option. As a reminder, coconut cream is the hard stuff at the top of a can of full fat coconut milk. Pop the can in the fridge for an 30 minutes to an hour (or overnight if you have the time) and it will harden at the top. You can also buy cans of just the coconut cream, but are sometimes hard to find. It won’t make this pasta taste like coconut- I promise you!
Pesto Salmon Pasta
- 2 salmon fillets
- 2 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1T olive oil
- 3c baby spinach (or more)
- 1/2c coconut cream
- 1/2t sea salt
- 7 oz jar Seggiano pesto
- 1 package Banza rotini
How to cook Pesto Salmon Pasta
- Preheat oven to 350F. Roast salmon on parchment paper lined baking sheet for 10 minutes. Flip and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add shallots and garlic to a food processor (love my mini food processor)and pulse until finely diced. Cook shallot and garlic in olive oil* until soft and translucent. Add spinach and saute until wilted. Add coconut cream and stir until a creamy sauce has formed. Add salt. Flake salmon with a fork and add to veggie mixture. Add pesto and mix well.
- Boil a pot of water and add pasta when boiling. Cook according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2c pasta water after it's finished cooking to thin sauce if desired.**
- Add pasta to sauce mixture. Top with fresh lemon zest. Enjoy!!