Sausage and Sprouts (Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Grain Free, Whole30 Option)
Ask and you shall receive! Anytime I make this simple supper on instagram, I get tons of questions! It’s seriously the easiest and beyond flavorful. The secret is in the magic of the crispy brussels sprouts. I definitely want to try them in the air fryer…. whenever I decide to pull the trigger and get one. If you do have an air fryer, tell me: what kind do you have? Do you love it? I’m running out of space for all my kitchen appliances!
Don’t be intimidated by frying brussels sprouts because they are too easy! I tried cutting down the time by not chopping them in half but they popped like popcorn and I got burned! So don’t do that. Definitely chop them in half. This dinner also tastes great with my crispy potatoes!
Sausage and Sprouts
- 1 package summer sausage (use Nature's Rancher brand for whole30)
- 2 yellow onions, sliced very thin
- 1T avocado oil
- 1/2t sea salt
- 1c avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- Dijon Mustard
How to cook Sausage and Sprouts
- Thinly slice onions. Add 1T avocado oil (or oil of choice) to a pan, add 1/4t sea salt, and cook onions on low for at least an hour, or until caramelized, stirring occasionally so they don't burn.
- Wash sprouts, cut end off, and slice in half lengthwise. Heat avocado oil or coconut oil (do not use butter, it will burn) in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add sprouts cut side down (don't crowd the pan), working in batches. Leave sprouts alone for at least a minute and then flip. Watch out for spitting oil! Transfer to a paper towel lined plate when crispy and season with 1/4t sea salt.
- After frying sprouts, pour excess oil out, but don't rinse or wipe the pan. Cut sausage on the diagonal and throw in the pan on medium high heat. Cook until browned and crispy on each side.
- Serve with dijon mustard!